Megan on Marketing

Online Marketing is discussed

Social Networks and Customer Engagement

So…I’ve got you here…..but how to I make you stay, and keep you coming back for more?  With the advent of social media, that is the question a lot of brands are asking these days.  Thandian News reports that university students have an attetion span of just 10 minutes.  I’d say that may be slightly higher than other users due to our “conditioning” (3 hour lecture anyone?).  So how can a brand get users to stay on their site once they get their.  The answer is engagement.  SOS eMarketing has posted “The Rules Of Customer Engagement On Social Networks” on their website, where they specifically discuss the use of Facebook and Twitter.  So….why is customer engagment so important??  According to WTN news, customer engagement drives loyalty, referrals, and growth.

ENGAGEMENTdb hasa very interesting website, where they have compiled a list of brands and ranked them based on “how they leverage social media to interact with customers.”  A report published August 3rd, 2009 indicated that “Starbucks unseated Coca Cola as the #1 Facebook brand”.  On the other end of the spectrum, brand like Wrigley, Allianz, and AIG were rated 97, 98, and 99 respectively.  Fedex and Cocal-Cola were smack dab in the middle with a tie for the position of 51.

Naturally, 3rd party companies have developed to assist companies in the area of brand engagement.  4orce, an “Award-Winning Brand Engagement Agency” decription of services:

“4orce bridges the space between branded engagement and digital technology. By blending creativity, design, insights and intelligence, and usability testing, we deliver marketing solutions from an empirical perspective on what makes consumers tick and how they interact with brands.”

They perform social media services such as

  • Display
  • SEM
  • Social
  • Planning
  • Mobile
  • Email

It is reported on their website that only 40% of Companies have a Social Media Plan.  Should the other 60% percent of Companies hop on the social media bandwagon, or will the social media craze be over as fast as it started?

What’s next in the rapidly changing technological society that we live in today?


October 13, 2010 - Posted by | Uncategorized

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: